The Salt Lake Daily Herald has a front page story, The Ugly Ute, about an altercation between and Indian and a white man. It reminds me of the romanticized idea we have of cowboys vs. Indians. This paper was published in Salt Lake City, UT on Tuesday morning, October 19, 1880. The article says that Jackson, the white man, shot the Indian for no obvious reason, he was not being threatened or provoked. The scene was witnessed by four white men and an Indian. This altercation quickly escalated into a massacre.
Today there was an altercation between a white man, Jackson, and an Indian that escalated quite quickly. There has been too many disagreements between whites and Indians these days. It was said that the Indian was shot by Jackson and had not provoked Jackson prior to the shooting, but others have said that the Indian shot first and Jackson was practicing self defense so I'm not quite sure what to believe. The situation then escalated into a massacre which is terrifying to know that is happening around me. Even families were murdered, poor innocent children. This makes me fear for my family's safety and my own. I feel as if Indians are being protected more than us by our own government. Everything is going awry and I fear for the future of our country. I feel that the communication between government, whites, and Indians needs lots of improvement in order to keep everyone safe. I want to be able to know my family will be safe and protected by our government, not fear it.
I really like how you described what was happening around you and how you felt about the situation
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to me how you were given the name of the white man but not the Indian in the article.
ReplyDeleteI like how you included how a person with a family and children in this time period would feel with all of these things happening. That was interesting.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was interesting how you included the communication aspect. I feel that if they did communicate more, maybe there wouldn't be as many issues
ReplyDeleteI liked how you used the perspective of a family and mom in your entry and it was really realistic. I also liked how you offered your own opinion on the subject of the massacre.
ReplyDelete